Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Strange, Stills and Self

This is a picture of myself in my room. I was trying to experiment with an image in my glasses to make me look smaller than I would be in the frame. As you can see my laptop is at the corner of my bed and it is shown twice. One looks bigger then the other.

These next two photos are of the strange. I met these two at the Yuan Yuan near Taco Bell. I did not want to interrupt their dinner together but they looked happy and approachable to ask for their picture taken. The guy's name is Danny and the girl is Ariel. They are from California stopping through Ashland on their way to Eugene.


The object in the mirror is one of my roommates. We were heading to assist my other roommate, not present in the picture, out with a task for his girlfriend. I decided to take a picture of my friend in the back of the car because I did get a good angle plus he just looks so confused and that makes this photo so much better. If he was smiling or posing in anyway it would take away from the realize of the photo.

2 comments:

  1. I really think you've done a great job here with your self portraits. They are intense in that they are so moody in a David Lynch sort of way. The pictures tell us something that we might not otherwise think about when thinking about who you are a as a person. The other images are not as compelling. There seems to be less of your process in them as compared to the way you approach your own images. What I mean is that it appears to me, just my opinion, that you put a lot more thought into your self portrait images than what comes through in the others. This is not uncommon. It is often hard to take pictures of other folks -- less comfortable -- even though one might agree. Even though you might say taking the pictures of other people wasn't that hard, there still feels like a sort of distance between you and them. It's hard to capture that connection. Good Work here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After looking at these again, I have to say that I really enjoy the image of Ariel. This is very candid and comfortable. You captured the moment nicely. I think my earlier comments were about the image of David. Nevertheless, really nice stuff.

    ReplyDelete